Molecular Modeling programs on different platforms - table correct?

deleage at ibcp.fr deleage at bentley
Thu Sep 19 05:56:35 EST 1996

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu wrote:
: Hi,

: Periodically I check the status of various molecular modeling/molecular
: display/related programs with respect to portability.  This is my latest
: table - if anybody sees any errors or wants to add something, please chime
: in.

: Listed alphabetically

:              MIPS      ---DEC Alpha----         Intel
: What         SGI       DU            WNT      Windows   GraphicsType

: Biosym       Yes       No*           No*           No*       GL
: Grasp        Yes       No            No            No        GL
: MidasPlus    Yes       No            No            No        GL
: molmol       Yes       Yes           No            No        X11
: O            Yes       No            No            No        GL
: rasmol       Yes       Yes           ?             Yes       X11/Windows
: Setor        Yes       No            No            No        GL
: VMD          Yes       No            No            No        GL
: XtalView     Yes       Yes           No            No        GL/X11

: * Separately licensed "Axxess" product lets Biosym run as an X11 client.

: Kind of amazing to me that more of these have not been ported to other
: platforms, for instance Alpha/Linux or WNT.  Looks like the only really
: portable one is Rasmol.  In terms of horsepower the SGIs are at least twice
: as expensive as these alternatives.  I guess the ports will only come when
: the grants start coming back marked with "buy cheaper platforms".

: If I get a vote, I cast it for moving to WNT.  Not that I'm a big fan of
: that OS, but realistically, WNT workstations would be a lot more readily
: accepted by our undergrads then the current set of SGIs are, and getting
: other software for WNT machines (word processors and so forth) would be one
: heck of a lot easier and lots cheaper than it is for SGIs.

: Regards,

: David Mathog
: mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
: Manager, sequence analysis facility, biology division, Caltech
We have developed a program specifically for IBMrs6000 (using graPHIGS)
It's name is ANTHEPROT and is available by anonymous ftp to ftp.ibcp.fr
Hope this helps, Gilbert
   #  Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Proteines. UPR 412-CNRS       #
   #     *****  *****      ****   *****         Dr Gilbert Deleage     #
   #       #    #    #    #    #  #    #       7, passage du Vercors   #
   #       #    *****     #       #    #    69367 Lyon Cedex 07,FRANCE #
   #       #    #     #   #       #****         Tel: (33) 72-72-26-47  #
   #       #    #     #   #    #  #             Fax: (33) 72-72-26-01  #
   #     *****  ******     ****   #                deleage at ibcp.fr     #