Solaris 2.x on a Pentium?

Chang Zhou czhou at
Wed Apr 16 22:53:51 EST 1997

Albert Gold wrote:

> I know that SUN apparently makes an OS which clearly will run
> upon Pentium machines, called X86, but that system is
> NOT Solaris.
It virtually the same, I'm referring to Solaris-2.5-x86,
except the different binaries, and very stable as well,
never have once crushed unexpectedly.  Even though you have
to pay $500 to $1000 for one license, but for those unix lovers
it worths all the money.  With PP-200 plus enough cheap RAM
and SCSI disk space, it seems to perform better than Ultra-1,
and at a substantially lower price.

> Has anybody tried running Solaris on a Pentium machine?  Does it work?
Sure, it works.

--- Chang