Making gif's of dendrograms, UNIX ?

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Tue Dec 2 20:34:13 EST 1997

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.971202105454.17675A-100000 at nature.berkeley.edu>,
Brian Osborne <bosborne at NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU> wrote:
>I am generating alignments and the associated
>dendrograms (*.dnd) using clustalw (command line).
>I would like to take the *.dnd file and make it into
>a GIF, again, from the command line. I've used
>Phylip, but this cannot make GIFs, as far as I
>can tell. One possibility would be to use Phylip
>to make a .ps file, then do a ps -> gif I suppose.
>Is there any utility that can do this directly,
>for UNIX?

There are utilities (I think in the PBMPlus package) called
ps2ppm and ppmtogif that could do it.  I did not put GIF into
PHYLIP's Drawgram and Drawtree programs mostly because, aside from
programming difficulty, there were at one point possible legal
problems from CompuServe.  I gather these have now receded and I
should have done it.

You could alternatively use an output like PICT or PCX that can be
read by a drawing program, and then ask the drawing program to
import that and then export a GIF file.

-----
Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)