Commercial activity on bionet

Tim Burland timb at
Fri Dec 5 17:52:18 EST 1997

I am seeking clarification of the policy on commerical activity for
BIOSCI/bionet newsgroups, in particular for  My enquiry is
prompted by this commerical message posted by one of our competitors in the
sequence analysis software business:

Subject:      Sequencher moving to Windows NT/95 (ANNOUNCE)
From:         howardc at GENECODES.COM (Howard Cash)
Date:         1997/11/20

The message is a new product announcement.  My company might also like to
post new product announcements to this forum, but some BIOSCI policy
statements would seem to prohibit this action.  For example, a message at states that "Commercial
activities on BIOSCI are in general prohibited", and goes on to say that
"BIOSCI will takes steps to terminate network access to any reader who
willfully violates our commercial use policies."  On this basis, one might
expect access to be terminated for our competitor above.

In contrast, a usenet policy statement at
enet states that "Announcement of professional products or services on
Usenet is allowed, provided suitable restraint is exercised."  In this
case, it appears that product announcements may be acceptable.  If so, we
would naturally want to announce our own new products in

However, a message from biosci-help: