Ref PC' or Macs

Tom Chappell t.chappell at
Wed Dec 17 09:25:48 EST 1997

In article <677a3v$qb5$1 at>, "John Monahan"
<monahan at> wrote:

>Dont know about the percentages. What does it matter. This is the late 90's,
>PC's are are on at least 95% of desktops out there. Current software is
>converging towards W95/NT/DCOM/ActiveX/Java. The Mac blip has passed, lets
>move on!

I'm interested in your   W95/NT/DCOM/ActiveX/Java replacements for the
following Mac programs:

1) Gene Construction Kit --I know major drug companies that have failed in
their "no Macs" attempts over this one.
2) CELLQuest -- BD is the major supplier of  flow cytometry hardware,
software and reagents in the world--Mac hardware and software...
3) Sequencer  and ABI instrument control -- virtually all DNA sequence in
the world is initially called with a Mac--and then goes to either Macs
(low volume work) or UNIX (high volume work)...

I'm willing to be converted, but I use GCK everyday, and have found
nothing even close available for Windows. As a minor starting point, GCK
is capable of searching my hard disk for DNA sequences, with matches based
on DNA matching rules.

I use Windows for microscope control and chromatography automation, but it
is just not anywhere close on Molecular Biology tools.

Tom Chappell
MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology
University College London