Ref PC' or Macs

Matthew Vaughn Lightyear at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 17 14:55:28 EST 1997

John,

This is a newsgroup that I suppose scientific types read and so I have to
hold your assertion here to scientific standards..  95% is absolutely
wrong.  Apple's OS is on 35-40% of all desktops, and the portion is even
higher when you consider research desktops only.   PCs have made inroads
into BENCHTOPS but not desktops in the sicence field.. if you need to do
heavy duty interfacing,  it's true that PCs are better, but that's OK
because one probably has the back off or case open with testing clips,
etc. attached to the components anyway to fix some random plug and play
snafu that has ocurred.

Puhleezz,
Get your facts straight.

Matthew Vaughn

In article <677a3v$qb5$1 at cronkite.lanminds.com>, "John Monahan"
<monahan at avigen.com> wrote:

> Dont know about the percentages. What does it matter. This is the late 90's,
> PC's are are on at least 95% of desktops out there. Current software is
> converging towards W95/NT/DCOM/ActiveX/Java. The Mac blip has passed, lets
> move on!

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice, however, there is no similarity

Matthew Vaughn
University of Illinois Department of Biology
190 ERML 1201 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801
mwvaugh at uiuc.edu