Mol. Biol. Software

Thomas Sicheritz thomas at evolution.bmc.uu.se
Sat Dec 20 03:25:36 EST 1997

 William Coetzee (coetzeew at is2.nyu.edu) wrote:
 >Which is the best computer program to use in the molecular biology
 > under linux:
 >    database of clones, primers
 >    restriction anaylsis
 >    multiple alignment
 >    fragment assembly
 >    profile anaylsis
 >    ORF analysis

I doubt that there is an "efficient" program which combines all your requests
into a single application ... but there a several freeware (most of them)
excellent programs that will help you a a lot.

We are currently working on a Clone/Cosmid/Sequence managing SQL database
with a Tcl/Tk interface for our ongoing Genome Sequencing Project.
This application CAPdb (Click And Pray database) tries to glue together most
of the applications needed for Sequence/Genome analysises. (public release 1998 ???)
(Gnomics Software, http://evolution.bmc.uu.se/~siv/gnomics/)

There are a lot of programs for Win95/Mac too, but if you choose the Linux OS,
you'll get access to almost all biological programs available ...
A good start is "Molecular Linux" att http://evolution.bmc.uu.se/~thomas/mol_linux
(Right now I just know of one single program that I'd like to run
but which isn't available yet for linux ... PAUP ... but someone told me it's on the way)

c ya
-thomas

Sicheritz Ponten Thomas E.              UPPSALA UNIVERSITY
Vaksalagatan 29C S-753 31 Uppsala       Biomedical Center
Home: +46 18  129021                    Department of Molecular Biology
BMC:  +46 18 4714214                    BOX 590 S-751 24 UPPSALA Sweden
Fax   +46 18  557723                    http://evolution.bmc.uu.se/~thomas

	De Chelonian Mobile ... The Turtle Moves ...