Windows: sequence analysis

Ed Rybicki ed at
Tue Feb 4 14:57:00 EST 1997

Zhaomin Yang wrote:
> Hi, all,
> Wondering if someone can recommend a good sequence analysis program(s) for
> Windows. I used to use Strider, but the lab I'm in now doesn't have Macs.
> It would be great if the program can draw plasmid maps and can be used for
> designing primers.
> Zhaomin

Hi - we have recently started to use DNAMAN from Lynnon Biosoft up in
Canada; it is remarkably full-featured (if a bit idiosyncratic), and
will do multiple sequence alignment, translation, dna frag assembly, PCR
primer and oligo is also CHEAP ($260 or so).  Works well
under Win 3.1 and is LIGHTNING fast on even long sequence multiple
alignments.  Also does shading of alignments (another perennial q).
                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL:
    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."