Restriction Enzymes in DNA Strider?

Jim Woodgett jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
Fri Feb 7 09:34:22 EST 1997

In article <mantei-0602970937530001 at retrograde.ethz.ch>,
mantei at neuro.biol.ethz.ch (Ned Mantei) writes:

> This is a reply message which refers to the following message: News:
> <nc1-0402971130080001 at phanes94.mc.duke.edu>
> In article <nc1-0402971130080001 at phanes94.mc.duke.edu>, nc1@
> acpub.duke.edu (Namjin Chung) wrote:

> > Dear DNA Strider Users:
> > I use the above software for some sequence processing, and I think it's
> > simple but very good software.  The only one thing I'm not satisfied
> > with it is that it would not allow custom restriction by a selected set
> > of REs.

> If you hold down the option key while choosing "Graphic map..." from the
> menu "Enz", you can choose from the restriction enzymes in the file
> RELibrary.RELibrary can be edited by a word processor (save as "Text
> only"). Or is this not what you meant?

The Option key also works with the "Digestion..." menu choice.  When the list
of enzymes comes up (its a separate window) you can select as many enzymes as
you want to cut with by holding the shift key down.  To deselect all, click on
the space at the upper left of the listing.  You can also combine particular
cutters with double, triple cutters etc with a button selection in the dialog
box.

Once you've chosen a selection of REs and displayed the map or digest, any
subsequent maps/digests of other sequences will also use the same selection
unless you reselect the REs or quit/restart the application.

All this is in the manual.

Jim Woodgett

Associate Professor: University of Toronto
Senior Scientist: Ontario Cancer Institute   mailto:jwoodget at oci.utoronto.ca
610 University Avenue         http://kinase.oci.utoronto.ca/woodgettlab.html
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9           phone (416) 946-2962  fax: (416) 946-2963