phylo_win port for OpenVMS/Alpha available

mathog at mathog at
Mon Jan 27 13:33:46 EST 1997

Hi all,

For any other OpenVMS/Alpha molbio sites, you can pick up a port of Nicolas
Galtier's nice GUI phylogeny program PHYLO_WIN that runs on OpenVMS/Alpha 6.2
(and higher, presumably) from:

Unzip with the "-V" option or the executable will be mangled.  Then
define the logical PHYLO_WIN_DIR to point to the directory where the
.help file and the .exe live, and define a foreign symbol for phylo_win
or add phylo_win_dir to your DCL$PATH.  There is also a .hlp file so that
you can add it to the online HELP on your system.

For more information on the program, see:

    Galtier, N., Gouy, M., and Gautier, C. 1996.
    SEAVIEW and PHYLO_WIN: two graphic tools for
    sequence alignment and molecular phylogeny. (in

In order to use Phylo_Win you'll probably also need Seaview, so as to be
able to manipulate MASE files.  Seaview is a nice GUI based multiple
alignment editor.  I ported it to OpenVMS/Alpha several months ago, and you
can get it from the Seaview ftp site:

Both of these packages are provided as binaries compiled on OpenVMS/Alpha
6.2. There are build instructions, but it will be a fair amount of work
since neither package contains all of the pieces needed for a complete

  For Seaview you'll also need the VMS port of Xforms, which is available,
  but only for 6.2 and above, alpha only, from the Xforms web site:

  For Phylo_Win you need the NCBI Vibrant toolkit.  According to N.G. this
  has to be an older version - the current one apparently doesn't work with
  Phylo_Win.  I'm not sure exactly which version of the NCBI toolkit I have -
  every module seems to have a different version creation date on it.  The
  most recent modules are dated 4/25/96, one of them was SATUTIL.C.

David Mathog
mathog at