readseq in C++/Java - comments?

Lars Arvestad arve at
Tue Jul 15 02:27:33 EST 1997

Don Gilbert wrote:
  DG> These include runtime reference resolution such that I can
  DG> potentially make readseq a portable component that any non-programmer
  DG> or interested biologist could drop into an application container
  DG> and link together with other program parts to form a new
  DG> application.  This is part of what Java Beans is about.  One
  DG> can't do this with C++ or C code.  It is something new and
  DG> potentially very enabling for the average scientist or
  DG> bioinformatician.

I don't understand this comment. What is wrong with the function
libraries in the old fashion way? With readseq already being quite
portable (right?), it should be easy enough to build a library with

I have successfully used SEQIO by James Knight
( which is
distributed as a source file that you compile together with your
program (somewhat less efficient than having a separate library), and
it works excellent.

	Best regards,

Lars Arvestad               Dept. of Numerical Analysis and Computing Science
                       Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden