Liquid Nitrogen freezer contents software

Steve Roberts bmcsar at picr.cr.man.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 04:42:48 EST 1997

We have a number of freezers from several suppliers storing cell lines
and tissue/blood samples . Currently we use either paper records or a
rather inadequate home-brew database to store details of what is in
there. As the Vax which hosts the database is going in a few months we
need a replacement system. We are reluctant to spend time porting the
existing application!

Can anyone point us towards any alternative ready-made packages - we
will even consider things we have to pay for. What do other labs use
these days? (When we asked this question a few years ago the answer we
failed to find anything suitable). Our requirements are fairly simple -
freezers are either rod/cane or box based, we need to be able to log
samples in and out, move samples around and find samples by whatever the
user decided to call them!

Any suggestions or pointers gratefully received. Our news feed is a
little dodgy at the moment so Email  would be appreciated.

Steve.
bmcsar at picr.cr.man.ac.uk