BBC philip.whelan at bbc.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 12:45:22 EST 1997

I am trying to find a way of loading scan data onto an SGI machine for
volume rendering.  The data is obtained from both MRI & CT scanners, mainly
Siemens & General Electric, from various hospitals.  The SGI is an Indigo2
High Impact R10,000 in a fairly isolated environment, where FTP or ISDN
probably won't be practical.
Ideally I would like to able to hook up a magneto-optical drive to the SGI
which would read the mo disks.  However, nobody I have spoken to seems to
be able to know of such a device.  It seems likely that a Pioneer SH7101 or
SH9101 will load Siemens data on a Sun Sparc workstation, which might be an
option if I can get access to a Sun, but it seems unlikely that these
drives will talk to a SGI.

Does anybody know of any solutions to this problem ?