Linux GDE problems

Keith James k.james at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 12:13:57 EST 1997

Hi all,

I have the GDE 2 binaries installed on an Intel box running RedHat
Linux 4.1 (ELF). I installed the required X libraries and put the
binaries in /usr/local/bin/GDE and the help/data files in
/usr/local/lib/GDE.

When I run GDE all seems fine- the window appears and the menus look
fine, but creating a new sequence causes a crash with the message:

UniqueID(): Failed to get host name.

Also, when I open an existing sequence nothing appears in the editor
window.

I would be interested in hearing how anyone has set GDE up on their
Linux system. I have considered building new binaries from the source
myself, but the download always stalls before completion. Maybe there
is a European mirror?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Keith James Ph.D. - k.james at bangor.ac.uk  PGP 2.6.2i  Key ID 469A9FA1
Biodegradation Group                         *Encrypt and Survive*