robert.royall royall at which.net
Sat Jun 14 21:26:33 EST 1997

On 11 Jun 1997 17:45:22 GMT, "BBC" <philip.whelan at bbc.co.uk> wrote:

>I am trying to find a way of loading scan data onto an SGI machine for
>volume rendering.  The data is obtained from both MRI & CT scanners, mainly
>Siemens & General Electric, from various hospitals.  The SGI is an Indigo2
>High Impact R10,000 in a fairly isolated environment, where FTP or ISDN
>probably won't be practical.
>Ideally I would like to able to hook up a magneto-optical drive to the SGI
>which would read the mo disks.  However, nobody I have spoken to seems to
>be able to know of such a device.  It seems likely that a Pioneer SH7101 or
>SH9101 will load Siemens data on a Sun Sparc workstation, which might be an
>option if I can get access to a Sun, but it seems unlikely that these
>drives will talk to a SGI.
>
>Does anybody know of any solutions to this problem ?

The MO disks used with siemens are not the "normal" format, you can
get hold of a pioneer MO drive and drivers whcih will read them ,a
hospital near me has done this cost about 3000 ps. Some siemens MRI
scanners have a QIC tape drive in the engineers cupboard and you can
transfer images that way. I have used both ways !
Image format is no problem strip the header to leave the binary data.
The easiest wayas has already been mentioned is always to get a direct
network connection and use ftp, BUT siemens and GE might not be very
keen on you doing this !
I can provide UK supplier details of MO drive if you email me and also
details of tar onto QIC tape.
If you just want images for a program contact me also
Robert  - "Regional Medical Physics, Middlesbrough   royall at which.net