Searching DNA Seq. for promoter elements, binding sites, etc.?

Laurent Duret duret at
Wed Jun 18 23:22:12 EST 1997

In article <5n76p3$3n7 at>, btsmith at (Bradley T. Smith) writes:
>As my subject line indictaes, I am interested in any advice or information
>concerning the searching of DNA sequences for various motifs such as
>protein binding sites, promoter elements, etc.
>I am hoping that there is some sort of software package that uses a large
>database of such motifs to scan query sequences.
>I have heard of something called "Motif" which may or may not be what I am
>looking for.  Although, I think that it may be a a part of GCG, which I'd
>like to avoid if at all possible.  However, if that is my only choice,
>I'll just have to grin and bear it!

Have a look at the following sites:

They provide good web pages for protein binding sites and
promoter prediction.

 Hope this helps,

Laurent Duret

Laurent Duret
Laboratoire BGBP - UMR CNRS 5558     Phone  : +33 (0) 4 72 44 62 97
Universite Claude Bernard - Lyon 1   FAX    : +33 (0) 4 78 89 27 19
43 Bd du 11 Novembre 1918            e-mail : duret at
F-69622 Villeurbanne Cedex           ========================