drawing plasmid

Dr. Kai-Uwe Froehlich kaifr at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 6 02:51:00 EST 1997

In article <331D8E79.4FE3 at nantes.inra.fr>, choiset at nantes.inra.fr wrote:

> Hello
>

> I m looking for free software for drawing plasmid.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Yvan

Hi Yvan,

You do not specify the platform (computer type) you need the program for.
If it is for a Macintosh, you should have a look at a plasmid drawing
program I have written, primarily for our lab use (so it is anything but
polished), which I have released as Freeware. It converts lists of
restriction sites and fragment/gene positions into Postscript files.

Its weak points in short
- It is a Hypercard stack, so you need Hypercard to run it (luckily, speed
is no problem, there are no processor intensive steps involved)
- The output are Postscript files in Illustrator format. To view and to
further edit the picture (which you will have to, see below), you need
either Adobe Illustrator, or the Shareware EPStoPICT, which produces a
fully editable, object oriented PICT version of the graphics.
- The program does not care for overlapping labels, so in most cases you
must do some fine-tuning

On the other hand, the program
- allows "electronic cloning", so you can quickly construct new plasmids
from those already entered in the program
- can draw all plasmids at the same size, but also using the same (or any
you want) scale (that was the primary reason for me to write the program,
most commercial programs  had (still have?) no way to specify the drawing
scale (except by different magnification in the page setup)
- draws linear and circular maps, allows borders of various widths and
fills of grays, arrows...
- output quality is great, thanks to Postscript
- the price is right :-)

For a more detailed description, including screen shots of the output
graphics,  see
<http://yeamob.pci.chemie.uni-tuebingen.de/Archiv/PlasmidMaker.html>

and that is also the place to download the stack:
<http://yeamob.pci.chemie.uni-tuebingen.de/Archiv/Plasmid-Maker.hqx>

(BTW, there is also a stack for the organization of plasmid/strain
collections available)

Kai