Looking for digital image analysis software

biochimie bioch at lnsd-res.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Mar 7 05:31:08 EST 1997

In article <5fevbl$1pt at taurus.fccc.edu>, sauder at castor.fccc.edu says...

aisoai at agc.co.jp (ISOAI Atsushi) writes:
>>In article <5f9ubd$rca at dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>, kschap at ix.netcom.com
>>(Kane L. Schaphorst) wrote:

>>> While I believe these imaging systems may be adequate for figure
>>> composition and image archival, I am not certain about this.  Furthermore,
>>> I do not know of any decent freely available or commercially available
>>> software that can perform quantitative analysis on these images.  To date,
>>> the only image analysis
>>>needed to perform is densitometry by either profile or volume analysis.
>>
>>Hi,
>>I can not recommend the best imaging systems for your purpose,
>>but if you have PC and scanner why not you try NIHImage.
>>It's free but (I think) it's one of the best image software in
>>the world. You can get it from:
>>Please try it. I hope it is useful for you.
>>Atsushi Isoai, Ph.D. <aisoai at agc.co.jp | aisoai at yk.rim.or.jp>
>
>        NIH-Image runs on the Mac.  There was a beta version of a port
>to the PC called Scion Image, I think.  There's also a program called
>ImageTool.  Check out these URLs:
>        http://ddsdx.uthscsa.edu/dig/itdesc.html
>        http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/default.html
>
>        Both these programs can do densitometry.
>--
About The PC version of NIH Image: It's a Alpha version and we can't seriously
rely on it (bugs !). You CAN'T do quantitative densitometry on proteins or DNA
patterns with ImageTool !
May be you can use the following solutions :
1)A (very) good tabletop scanner (notice that the BioRad GS700 is no more than
an AGFA ARCUS II)
2)A Image analysis software. I'm testing some of them:
1D-SCAN from Scanalytics (http://www.cspi.com/scanalytics/index.htm)
SIGMAL-GEL from Jandel (http://www.jandel.com/)
ImagePro Plus from Media Cybernectics (http://www.mediacy.com/mediahm.htm)
I know that Bioscan offers this kind of