Error bar in Microsoft Excel 5.0?

Douglas Danforth danforth.2 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 11 10:54:26 EST 1997

marder at agri.huji.ac.il (Jonathan B. Marder) wrote:

>In article <ghermans-1103971228470001 at pstn11.luc.ac.be>, ghermans at luc.ac.be (Guy Hermans) wrote:
>>In article <nc1-1003971835510001 at phanes94.mc.duke.edu>, nc1 at acpub.duke.edu
>>(Namjin Chung) wrote:
>>> in a single file of single software.  However, I couldn't have figured out
>>> how I can add error bars of standard deviation to line chart or bar chart
>>> even after many, many trials.
>>
>>You can go on and on... it's simply not there as far as I know. If
>>scanning the helpfile doesn't show up anything, it's not there. Microsoft
>>will surely let you know what they can do!
>>
>..
>It definitely IS there in Excel 5.0. Once you select a data series, you can
>INSERT error bars and then give cutomized error values. The data boxes for
>this will accept a data range. For example, if you have your data in 3 columns
>- X values, Y values and Y errors - you can use the third column to define the
>error bar extent for the data series.

It apparently isn't in Excel 7.0a.  Every time I try to put in the
data range in the custom box it gives me an error. For example
I have my x values in a1..a4
I have my y values in b1..b4
I have my SEM values in c1..c4

When I try to put c1..c4 in the custom box I get the error message
"Error in Formula".

Doug Danforth
danforth.2 at osu.edu