Error bar in Microsoft Excel 5.0?

Jonathan B. Marder marder at
Tue Mar 11 08:00:52 EST 1997

In article <ghermans-1103971228470001 at>, ghermans at (Guy Hermans) wrote:
>In article <nc1-1003971835510001 at>, nc1 at
>(Namjin Chung) wrote:
>> in a single file of single software.  However, I couldn't have figured out
>> how I can add error bars of standard deviation to line chart or bar chart
>> even after many, many trials.
>You can go on and on... it's simply not there as far as I know. If
>scanning the helpfile doesn't show up anything, it's not there. Microsoft
>will surely let you know what they can do!
It definitely IS there in Excel 5.0. Once you select a data series, you can
INSERT error bars and then give cutomized error values. The data boxes for
this will accept a data range. For example, if you have your data in 3 columns
- X values, Y values and Y errors - you can use the third column to define the
error bar extent for the data series.

Jonathan B. Marder             ,      Department of Agricultural Botany
E-mail: MARDER at |      The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Phone: (08 or +9728) 9481918   | /\/  Faculty of Agriculture
Fax:   (08 or +9728) 9467763   |/  \  P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL