Manual multiple sequence alignment

K.James bss194 at thunder
Wed Mar 19 12:10:03 EST 1997

Hmjaeck at wrote:
: We are currently using the esee program to manually align DNA or peptide
: sequences.  However, this program runs only under MS/DOS and is, therefore, a
: little bit hard to usae.  Is there a WINDOWS program that allows the manual
: alignment of multiple sequences?

There is a rather nice Windows sequence alignment editor called Genedoc
which takes GCG .msf and FASTA files. It allows manual editing and very
flexible highlighting, plus loads of other stuff. It's free too.

Take a look at  It has scoring
functions to help tell whether edits are improving the alignment or not.

Keith James Ph.D. - k.james at  PGP 2.6.2i  Key ID 469A9FA1
Biodegradation Group                         *Encrypt and Survive*
School of Biological Sciences             Nightmare: Quake me up now!
University of Wales, Bangor, UK