Manual multiple sequence alignment

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at
Fri Mar 21 19:29:49 EST 1997

>Hmjaeck at wrote:
>>We are currently using the esee program to manually align DNA or peptide
>>sequences.  However, this program runs only under MS/DOS and is, therefore, a
>>little bit hard to usae.  Is there a WINDOWS program that allows the manual
>>alignment of multiple sequences?

VisEd for Windows is a close look-alike of esee. Doesn't take msf alignments, but seems to work like esee. Caution - although I've used esee a lot in the past, I've only just looked at VisEd.

VisEd 1.1 is available from the IUBIO archive.  You can download the self-extracting zip file from

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       |  Vox: 913-864-3939  FAX: 913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry |    pgegen at           |
|   and of Botany              |      |
|  University of Kansas        |                                        |
|  2045 Haworth Hall           |  "The sleep of reason produces         |
|  Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |   monsters."                  Goya     |