Help with linux binaries for GDE

Pat Thoyts thoyts at bsa.bristol.ac.uk
Mon Mar 24 07:27:28 EST 1997

jhhauman at uctvms.uct.ac.za wrote:

> Hi there
> I have downloaded the linux binaries for gde and tried to run them.
>
> There was the inevitable "can't find .... file" message (in this case
> libX11.so.3)
>
> A search through my CDs found this library on an old Infomagic set of Cds,
> so i copied it over to various places, running ldconfig each time - alas
> the error message remains the same.
>
> Please - could someone who has gde running under linux tell me what I'm doing
> wrong?

I have GDE 2.2 running under a Redhat 4.0ish release with kernel 2.0.29.
Basically I recompiled it myself. Your problem is that the binary
version
is in aout format andyour system is almost certainly using elf. The only
way
to get it to use elf libraries is to recompile it. However this is a
pain, and
at least one of the programs is in fortran which will mean you'll have
to sort
out installing g77.

Very likely the library you are missing was called /libX11.so.3
The lack of any other path information before the name is significant.
You can
get around the error by making a symbolic link from /libX11.so.3 to
wherever
you are keeping the aout library eg:
 ln -s usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libX11.so.3.1.0 /libX11.so.3
or you try some of these things.
The locations searched for libraries are /lib /usr/lib and directories
listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf. Mine looks like this:
cat > /etc/ld.so.conf<<EOF
/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
/usr/openwin/lib
/usr/andrew/lib
EOF
After editing this file you have to update the cache by running as root
ldconfig -v
Including the i486-linuxaout directory might help - however I'm not
certain that
this is used for aout libraries. It might only be for ELF libs.
The environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used with the older
libraries, so possibly you could fix up a gde script like this:

#!/bin/sh
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11/lib
/usr/local/bin/gde-2.2 $*

This would reset the lirary search path for gde and not mess it up for
any other program.

Pat Thoyts                           mailto:thoyts at bsa.bristol.ac.uk
                      http://pc0652.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/~pat/home.shtml