Solaris X86

James Bonfield jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 04:37:05 EST 1997

In article <64fek5$8qo_001 at leeds.ac.uk> medtjk at leeds.ac.uk (Jeffrey Keen) writes:
>I'm considering buying a PC to run Solaris Unix, does anyone know if molecular
>biology software such as Staden, XGrail or the Phred/Phrap packages run under
>the X86 version of Solaris or are these and other applications restricted to
>Sun hardware?

The Staden Package (at least Gap4, maybe more) has been successfully
compiled and used on Solaris x86. We don't have Solaris x86 ourselves,
but if the demand is there then we can get it. Please contact me and I
can put you in contact with the person who did it.

My recollection is that all it required was the usual Makefile and
compiler changes. I suspect the same would be true of the other
packages you list as I think Solaris x86 is very similar to Solaris
(for Sparcs).

	James

--
James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556