powerBLAST and sex toys

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 9 13:12:17 EST 1997

Life's embarrassing moments...

One of the PIs came in yesterday and wanted to know what "powblast" meant
on an Entrez report.  I explained that it stood for "PowerBLAST". Naturally
he wanted a copy, and I didn't remember the URL to download it from, so I
punched "powerblast" into AltaVista, whereupon we both discovered that not
only is PowerBLAST a tool from the NCBI, it is also the name of a sex toy.
Even the brief descriptions that were listed in the AltaVista results page
contained enough lurid detail to make for an awkward moment.

Thankfully this PI was not of the opposite gender.

I guess from now on I'll have to qualify my AltaVista searches with

 AND !sex

or some such thing.

Oh yes, "PowerBLAST" is also a chemical sprayer, something or other from
Marvel comics, and an online service - or maybe two.

Sigh,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu