Victor Solovyev solovyev at
Thu Oct 16 18:05:41 EST 1997

New test Version of BCM Gene_finder to search for multiple genes,
  Promoters and polyA sites is available from:
(LPT WWW main page:

  GeneFinder will soon be available from The Sanger Centre WWW
  Comments to my new address: solovyev at

Short Description (Abstract for Atlanta conference 1997 november)

  A new version of GeneFinder for analysis of genomic DNA with multiple genes

    Genome sequencing projects generate long genomic sequences often containing
several genes. The Baylor College of Medicine GeneFinder programs were developed
further to predict multiple genes. We calculate new linear discriminant function
to predict 5'- , internal and 3'-exons for 4 different G+C compositional sequenc
groups. We introduce a list of rules a) for competition of overlapping exons and
b) for joining neighbor exons. The dynamic programming algorithm was changed
from searching acyclic graph of compatible exons to linear time algorithm which
uses a knowledge of the maximal path for preceding exons for each of 3 possible
open reading frames (in one DNA chain direction). New program FGENES reach about
93% accuracy (Sn=92% and Sp=94%) at the nucleotide level and 84% accuracy at the
exact exon prediction level (Sn=84.7 and Sp=84) on Burset/Guigo set of 570 genes
Gene-level accuracy was 57%, that is more accurate than observed for the existin
programs which do not use sequence homology information. Promoter and poly-A sit
prediction were embedded in the program, that helps to recognize multiple genes
located in one sequence. TATA-box containing and TATA-less promoters prediction
will be discussed.
*) Current address:  Sanger Centre, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK