image fusion

Joseph J. Strout jstrout at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 17 11:16:56 EST 1997

In article <34476E4F.32D5 at info.fundp.ac.be>, fvanderm at info.fundp.ac.be wrote:

>         I am trying to create some software which visualizes the fusion
>of two images.  My software
>receives matched medical images and it visualizes the superposition of
>these images.  On the
>screen, you can change the percentage of superposition of the images :

I hope you realize that most image processing software, e.g. Photoshop, can
already do this?  You just put each image in its own layer, then adjust the
opacity controls...

>          I don't know of any techniques to do that.  If you have some
>information about these techniques,
>some litterature (or reference), some algorithms, please E-mail me.

Perhaps I misunderstand, because it seems to me it's trivial.  If at a
particular location, one image contains RGB values (10,50,30), and the
other image contains RGB values (40,100,0), then the combination at 50% is
(25,75,15), i.e. simply the average of the two.  For combinations other
than 50%, simply use a weighted average.  In short, for each R, G, and B
component of each pixel, the combined intensity is (I1*f + I2*(1-f))/2,
where I1 and I2 are the intensities in images 1 and 2, and f is the
fraction of intensity you wish to allocate to the first image versus the
second.

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout at ucsd.edu           http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~jstrout/  |