Good C compiler for Mac?

Gary Sheldon Thompson garyt at
Fri Sep 12 02:17:34 EST 1997

Petr Kuzmic wrote:
> oxidizer at INTERLOG.COM wrote:
> > I'm looking for a good C
> > compiler for a PowerMac; any suggestions?
> Metrowerks is very easy to use, and it's cheap.  Apple MPW/C seems to me
> more easily interfaced with Fortran tools from various vendors.   If you
> were to integrate a lot of existing Fortran code into you application,
> that would be the only reason I'd at least take a look at MPW.
> I don't know about the legality of the following suggestion, but...
> there must be a lot of people (like me) with several old versions of
> Apple MPW and MetroWerks Code Warrior sitting around.  How about getting
> hold (by a license transfer or whatever) of an obsolete copy?  It should
> do fine for your student project.
> Petr Kuzmic Ph.D. * BioKin Ltd. * Madison, WI 53708-8336, USA
> pkuzmic at * * 608.256.1269 fax

Also you should note that

1. metrowerks have very reasonable academic rates 70ps
2. Codewarrior comes with MPW on the CD

 Dr. Gary S. Thompson           Address:
 Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow   Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
 Sheena Radford's Laboratory    Woodhouse Lane,
                                University of Leeds,
 Studying the structure and     Leeds, LS2 9JT.
 folding of proteins by nmr.    England.
                                e-mail: garyt at
                                tel:    0113 233 3134
                                fax:    0113 233 3167