Software to read whole genomes?

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at
Fri Sep 26 03:30:56 EST 1997

In article <60dqc3$725$1 at>, Don Gilbert
<gilbertd at> writes
>SeqPup is a free biosequence editor that has the ability
>to work with large, genome-sized sequences.  This ability
>is still limited in various respects, but it will open
>and display a test sequence of 1.8 megabases (H.influenzae).
>It comes in Mac, MSWindows and XWindows flavors; try
>the C++ (older) version rather than the Java version, which
>probably isn't ready for genomes yet.  Find it at
>If you try it on a 3MB genome, let me know if it works.

Hi Don,

The 32bit version loads up a 2.2Mb genome but tends to fall over a lot
under Win95 with exception errors that need on occasion a reboot. I'm
just about to try the 16 bit version, maybe that is happier.

The online help extracts the RTF file then crashes after 3 pages however
I can open the orginal help file in Word.

Simple question.

I open the sequence and it comes up in a window with a single line nice
coloured base sequence, not word wrapped. Using the bottom toolbar I can
move anywhere in that sequence (until the location numbers get
overwritten and unreadable as one scrolls). However I can't find how to
just highlight part of the sequence for copying. It sounds so simple but
how do you do it? I just want to remove say 10kb to find the orfs.

Many thanks

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.