Consed Java alternative

josephryan at yahoo.com josephryan at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 10:19:07 EST 1998

> > Is anyone aware of any applications that provide the functionality of
> > Consed (University of Washington) but will run as a java applet?

> Hi, if you get any useful responses, could you please summarize for the
> net or forward me copies?  Thanks!

I did not receive any pointers to the "exact" solution I am looking for but I
did get a few responses and here are some possible alternatives...

Gap4 (part of staden Package)  http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/
     Excellent program which we are already using but not what I was
     looking for because (1) It is proprietary and (2) It is not Java.
     I want something that will run on the web.

There are also a few TraceViewers out there.

     Whitehead Institute TraceViewer
     ftp://xenon.wi.mit.edu/pub/Traceviewer.distribution.tar.gz
     This is Java and freely available.

     Baylor College of Medicine TraceViewer
     http://gc.bcm.tmc.edu:8088/software/trace_viewer/trace_viewer.html
     This is Java and freely available.

     Trev (Staden Package)
     ftp://ftp.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pub/staden/trev/
     This one is not Java but is freely available.

I have also considered using Opengroup's Broadway which allows you to access
X-applications through a web browser via a plugin.
http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/x/broadway.htm
But this would require installation on the client side which I am trying to
avoid.

If anyone has other solutions please add to the thread.

Joseph Ryan
Programmer
National Human Genome Research Institute
jfryan @ nhgri.nih.gov