Translation of protein sequence to nucleotide sequence

Roland Walker walker at
Mon Aug 17 11:31:37 EST 1998

Anthony Ting wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a program that translate a protein sequence
> into a nucleotide sequence given a specific codon usage table?

The SEALS command

can do reverse translations under all known genetic codes.  See

The reverse translation uses ambiguity codes, and does not address
the question of likely codon usage.

I'd be happy to add the ability to reverse translate accounting for
user-supplied codon-usage data, perhaps in the form of a separate
tool that could redefine any ambiguous sequence according to a codon-
usage table.

What is the typical input format for the codon-usage table?