Text Comparison/ Version Software

Garth Williams garth.williams at zetnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 17:41:46 EST 1998

The message <34E82A1C.3632FE9F at nospam.eu.pnu.com>
  from  Kjell Madsen <kjell.madsen at nospam.eu.pnu.com> contains these words:

> The Coupers wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > Does anyone know of a program for comparing different version of a
> > text report and highlighting differences?  I saw something years ago
> > but can't remeber where.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David Couper

>  I'm using DocuComp which is one of the programs in Adobe File
> Utilities.

> DocuComp supports most common file formats and makes a detailed report
> of the differences.

> Kjell Madsen

> (Remove nospam from address)

Hi David,

Microsoft have supplied a free simple file comparison program for
years called FC which compares 2 files. It comes with almost all
versions of DOS and Windows. To use it, get to an MS-DOS prompt and
follow the instructions below, which are supplied by Microsoft (type
FC /? and ENTER at the DOS prompt to get help).

Regards,

--
Garth Williams,
Worcester.
email: garth.williams at zetnet.co.uk
www:   http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/jgw.computing/

Compares two files or sets of files and displays the differences between
them.

FC [/A] [/C] [/L] [/LBn] [/N] [/T] [/W] [/nnnn] [drive1:][path1]filename1
  [drive2:][path2]filename2
FC /B [drive1:][path1]filename1 [drive2:][path2]filename2

  /A     Displays only first and last lines for each set of differences.
  /B     Performs a binary comparison.
  /C     Disregards the case of letters.
  /L     Compares files as ASCII text.
  /LBn   Sets the maximum consecutive mismatches to the specified number of
         lines.
  /N     Displays the line numbers on an ASCII comparison.
  /T     Does not expand tabs to spaces.
  /W     Compresses white space (tabs and spaces) for comparison.
  /nnnn  Specifies the number of consecutive lines that must match after a
         mismatch.