Multiple sequence alignment software???

andrew.rambaut at andrew.rambaut at
Thu Feb 19 10:51:20 EST 1998

In article <34EC4E64.A5A at>,
burglin at wrote:

> Any other ideas?  I just can't believe there is no useful simple
> multiple
> sequence editor which allows one to push sequences left and right, and
> insert gaps.

You could try my Mac program Se-Al. The web address is

This is a prototype of a program I hope to finish soon. Please
try it and let me know what you think (i.e. any features you
would like to see). Its biggest advantage is you can swap between
viewing nucleotides and viewing the protein translation. Any
changes you make to the protein alignment will be present in
the nucleotides when you switch back.

  Andrew Rambaut,           EMAIL - Andrew.Rambaut at
  Zoology Department,         WWW -
  University of Oxford,
  South Parks Road, Oxford, England