Perl vs. C for bioinformatics

Pat Thoyts Pat.Thoyts at anti-spam.bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 20:57:59 EST 1998

Tom Walsh wrote:
[snip]

> >> Strong programming skills in C are required for all positions.
> >>

> >I would suggest using perl instead of C.
>
>  Is this a general trend in computational biology? I know a little C and I'm
> wondering if it's worth picking up Perl as well.
>
>    Tom Walsh

Almost certainly. Perl is _very_ good at handling text strings.

It's probably worth your tme to look at tcl/tk too - especially now
that it works under Win32 as well as X windows. _Easy_ multi-
platform interfaces. :)

--
Pat Thoyts                                Remove anti-spam to reply.
PGP Key at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/1661/resume.html