looking for molecular drawing software for linux

John Michael Sauder sauder at polaris.fccc.edu
Thu Feb 26 20:28:11 EST 1998

In article <34F4024E.53400E4E at student.uni-tuebingen.de> Ralph Gauges <ralph.gauges at student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
>I recently switched from windows95 to linux.  Now I am looking for a
>molecular drawing software to replace ISIS/Draw since it is not
>available for linux.  I would preferably like to have one that writes
>files which can later be used in a wordprocessing program.  So far I
>have not been able to find one on the net.  Does anybody know of such a
>program ?
>Thanks a lot in advance
>            Ralph

	I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but you could
try MolScript.  It can only read PDB files (as far as I know) and is
designed for use with protein and DNA molecules.  It's a bit overkill
for small molecules, but it would still work quite nicely (as long as
you could get your files in PDB format).
	You can generate PostScript or Encapsulated PS, which can then
be imported into any word processor.  You can also use some freeware
programs available for Mac or PC to generate a preview image for the
EPS file (I use PS2EPS+ for the Mac; I know of EPSTool for the PC).
MolScript can also generate various graphics formats, such as RGB,
JPEG, and TIFF.

	MolScript is available from www.avatar.se/molscript (off the
top of my head; I think this is correct).  I was able to compile it
under Slackware Linux 3.3.  It produces very nice images suitable for
printing (and photocopying) -- wireframes, ball-and-stick, vdW, etc.