Perl vs. C for bioinformatics -> Tcl/Tk

Tom Walsh tpwalsh at acer.gen.tcd.ie
Fri Feb 27 08:31:07 EST 1998

In article <x690qxtcny.fsf_-_ at evolution.bmc.uu.se>,
Thomas Sicheritz  <Thomas.Sicheritz at molbio.uu.se> wrote:

>2) Any scripting language which let's you get your job done will do.

I completely agree; whatever you're comfortable with and works well.

>Personally I vote for Tcl/Tk and/or Perl.

 The problem is that it's often not your personal choice but your
prospective employer's. In a perfect world we would use whatever language
we liked that got the job done.

>Of course - bioinformaticians MUST know LISP ... to connect and merge
>everything into their favorite tool: Emacs/XEmacs :-)

 Oh God, not ANOTHER language to learn :-(

 Real programmers, of course, do all their coding in FORTRAN (77)

    Tom Walsh