Python v. Perl ( Re: Languages for bioinformatics )

Joseph J. Strout jstrout at
Fri Feb 27 19:03:47 EST 1998

In article <6d6egt$4tn at>, dalke at wrote:

>  I think you're convincing me. Python syntax in general looks a lot cleaner
>than Perl. I'm learning Perl at the moment using material from the Web and it's
>not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm interested in having a go at OO
>programming in Perl but the examples I've seen aren't very clear to a newbie.

Right.  Perl as a whole is a hack, as are most things written in it.  This
isn't an insult -- a good hack is an art form to some.  But for actually
getting work done, in clear, understandable code, Python is clearly the
better choice.

-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout at   |