ISO Alignment and Phylogenetic Tree Software

Emmanuel Skoufos skoufs at pantheon.yale.edu
Mon Jan 5 10:49:57 EST 1998

Dear Bionetters:

I am looking for a *single* software package (shareware or commercial
product at a reasonable cost - < $ 500) that runs on Wintel platforms and
does the following things:

-Aligns multiple DNA and protein sequences

*and*

-Builds phylogenetic trees based on the alignments.

Optimally, cutting and pasting of the sequences is allowed and the tree
building is an easily executed option on the command menu/tool bar.

I tried several packages that either did not allow tree construction
(DNASIS, Prophet) or the user interface was inpractically complicated
(PHYLIP).  I know that there are a few programs for Macs (including the
DNASIS version for the Mac) that can do this.

If you have any products in mind for a PC, or if any of the products you
are using does the trick, please let me know.

Emmanouil

Emmanouil Skoufos, PhD
Section of Neurobiology and
Center for Medical Informatics