help pentium bug f0 0f

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at
Mon Jan 19 10:41:29 EST 1998

On 19 Jan 1998 14:59:44 +0100,
guillermo mulliert carlin (gmc at wrote:
>  We installed linux in one compueter and it reports us
>Warning: Pentium bug F0 0F
>  Does anyone know what is this bug?

The bug is described at the following URL:

Essentially, an invalid instruction locks up Pentium and Pentium MMX
chips.  This bug is fixed in Linux kernels 2.0.32 and later.  Several
other vendors have also written work-arounds for this CPU bug in their
operating systems.  For more information take a look at:

>If this bug concenrs calculations does
>anyone have a simple test to do with the calculator or excel?

It does not concern calculations (that's the FDIV bug, which was
discovered and fixed a long while ago).

Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research
aiyar at