Bio-browser?

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Fri Jan 23 17:32:21 EST 1998

I think it would be a big time sink to add anything to
that already kitchen-sink browser software.  My approach
which I think makes more sense for biocomputing is to write
network-aware biology programs that don't depend on a
netscape or like browser.  Having biology apps that are built
from reusable components will go farther than putting
effort into tagging on to a commercial product.

There is now a hotjava component from SUn that can be
plugged into java apps.  I'm not sure if it costs or is
free now, but the under-development swingset (JFC) has
a functional html displayer that will be free.

- don
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu