Q. Doing CORBA using JPL and PERL: current perspectives ?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.xerox.com
Thu Jan 29 01:46:13 EST 1998

Note that Owen has just released version 0.03 of his ILU/Perl work:

   Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:04:08 PST
   From: Owen Taylor <owt1 at cornell.edu>
   Subject: ILU/Perl 0.03
   To: ilu at parc.xerox.COM, cope at lunatech.COM

   I've put version 0.03 of my ILU/Perl runtime at:

     http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~otaylor/ilu/

   Changes since 0.02:

    - COBRA compatibility classes now work

    - Various bugfixes

    - For the truly adventurous, there is some experimental code
      to do dynamic invocation using an external Interface Repository.
      (Tested with the IR from MICO)

      This allows things like:

	$account = ILU->ObjectOfSBH('ILU::CORBA_Object', $ior);

	$account->deposit( 100 );
	$account->withdraw( 25 );

	print "Balance is ".$account->balance."\n";

      without knowing anything about the Account class in advance.

   Regards,
					   Owen Taylor

As for ILU being `complex and powerful', it should build simply on most
UNIX platforms, and we distribute Win32 binaries for that platform.  I've
recently put the ILU tutorials on-line from our Web page; you might want
to read through one of them, and see what you think.  The Web page is
at ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen  <janssen at parc.xerox.com> (650) 812-4763  FAX: (650) 812-4777
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304