Sequence Analysis Windows 95?

Francis Durst francis.durst at bota-ulp.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jul 8 12:56:39 EST 1998

In article <JUN.98Jul8111758 at watson.nih.go.jp> jun at nih.go.jp writes:
>From: jun at nih.go.jp
>Subject: Re: Sequence Analysis Windows 95?
>Date: 08 Jul 1998 02:17:58 GMT

>In article <35774B0E.4D8F4ABA at any.domain.com> invalid.address at any.domain.com
>writes:

>> > Does anybody know if there is a good, cheap/free program (like DNA strider
>for
>> > the Mac) for sequence analysis ie restriction maps, translations etc for
>> > Windows 95.
>>
>> Yes, there's Prophet, a project of the NIH.  You can download it from
>> http://www-prophet.bbn.com/

>I'm trying to download Prophet5.0 for Windows from
>www-prophet.bbn.com. But the server said "User anonymous access
>denied". Reason why?

You have to put them an e-mail. They give a password, and you download by ftp
using this pass.

I did, it works, the program also. It is rather enormous and does a lot of
different things (we call this 'une usine a gaz').It reads nuc seqs, does
restriction, translation.. and pep seqs, does clivage and reverse translation.
It has a nice interface to the web for doing direct blasts with bits
of seqs and so on. Probably more but I haven't had time yet to explore

All the best
Francis