Best and hottest DNA and protein software?

Brian Fristensky frist at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jul 15 10:57:04 EST 1998

Jon Sund Blandfort wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am going to deside what software to install for biological sequence
> analysis on a UNIX/LINUX server. What is the best and hottest in sequence
> analysis software right now? What is the best package (commercial &
> academic) for several types analysis e.g. datbase retrieval, sequence
> comparison and son on.

If you choose to install freeware, you should have a look at
the BIRCH web site:

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~psgendb

BIRCH is a Sun/Unix-based resource available to researchers
at the University of Manitoba. This site uses 100% freeware.
If you click on "Build Your Own BIRCH Site" you can get
a bit of a head start on building you own system. This
page still needs a lot of work!

Brian Fristensky                | "I heard from one reader who said that
at his
Department of Plant Science     |  site, Linux on a 486 is outperforming
University of Manitoba          |  WindowsNT on a 200 MHz Pentium, and
he has
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  Linux machines that have been running
frist at cc.umanitoba.ca           |  _without interruption_ since before
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  WindowsNT 4.0 was released."
FAX:            204-474-7528    |
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~frist/   John Kirch, Networking Consultant