announcement: Java mol. weight calculator

Anton Gluck gluc at cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 18 16:39:30 EST 1998

Hi there,

I have been working on a molecular weight calculator, written in Java as
a stand alone application.  I am working with a number of small RNA
oligomers, and had grown tired of manually calculating their molecular
weights. Because of this, my program right now works for RNA and DNA
only, but I am planning to add proteins to the next version. That is, if
there is a next version. That is why I am announcing my program here:
I'd like to know whether there is a general interest in such a program,
and therefore I'd really like to hear from you.  Will you give my first
version a try and tell me what you think of it?  I'm just testing the
waters here, and would appreciate any feedback.  If no one other than
our lab is interested in such a program I won't be spending a whole lot
of time on it any more...

You can find the program at
http://www-classes.cs.uchicago.edu/~gluc/MWC/MWC.html. The web page
contains some instructions on installing and running the program.  The
program itself contains instructions also, although its use should be
pretty straightforward.  The program is provided as a Java archive.
Macintosh users can download a double-click-able application is zip
compressed format as well.  Naturally, the program will only run on
machines that have a Java Virtual Machine installed.

Well, I hope to hear from you.  Thanks for your attention,

Anton