Genetic analysis program

Al Wang alwang at blue.seas.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 20 13:21:22 EST 1998

There are quite a few gene finding programs such as the one you describe,
but that's certainly not to say that there isn't room for improvement.
One of the more popular ones is GRAIL, but you might do well to scan
Pedro's list to look for others:

http://avalon.epm.ornl.gov/Grail-bin/EmptyGrailForm
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pedro/rt_1.html

Al

Aaron J Beverley (ajbever at powerup.com.au) wrote:
: I am considering writing a program which takes an arbitrary length of
: DNA or RNA and will return possible genes from these genomic sequences.
: I hope it will be able to determine the most probable ORF's, introns,
: exons and possibly determine firstly a primary protein sequence then
: secondary sequence.
: I'm not sure if this sort of program could be useful for anyone, or if I
: am being a bit ambitious, this is why I am asking for opinions or other
: ideas as to areas in which I can apply constraint programming in
: analysing genomic sequences.
: I have completed a degree in biochemistry so have a fair idea about
: genetic structure and function and I am now half way through a degree in
: computing. This program I hope to develop is part of my advanced studies
: but if the program is useful and works I would like to set it up as a
: fully supported program.

: Aaron.

al wang
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~alwang/