Drawing beta-sheets

Geoffrey Rowland rowland.geoff at zetnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 25 08:03:37 EST 1998

The message <6pa548$j74$1 at pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>
  from  steffen at spica.biochem.ualberta.ca (Steffen Graether) contains
these words:

> [ Article reposted from bionet.molbio.proteins ]
> [ Author was Steffen Graether ]
> [ Posted on 24 Jul 1998 05:03:59 GMT ]

> Does anyone know of a simple software program that allows you to draw 'simple'
> beta-sheets? I would like something to write on while doing my NMR
> assignments. These would be idealized beta-sheets (ie. do not require any
> input) and would look roughly like -
>
>   H    H
>   |    |
>   C    N
>   /\  /\

>    /\

>    Many thanks,
>    Steffen

You can use the standard chemical drawing packages like ChemWindow or
ChemDraw to set up a template for this.

ISIS/Draw is a freely available package for Windows, Macintosh and
SGI workstations which should also do the job.

see http://www.mdli.com

A related request:

Does anyone know of a program (preferably win95) that will produce
such 2-D H-bonded representations of beta-sheets from the information
in PDB files?

Many thanks,

Geoff Rowland (Yeovil College, Division of Science and Maths)