PHYLIP interleaved/sequential format conversion

Jerry Learn learn at
Thu Jun 25 11:57:54 EST 1998

In article <205969B4B7A2D11181F600805FBB80EA592890 at>,
TBerke at CHKD.COM ("Berke, Tamas") wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
> Is there an easy way - a script maybe, which would help me to convert the
> interleaved format of a PHYLIP alignment file into sequential format?
> Preferably for DOS (Win95) or UNIX platform.
> Thanks in advance.
> Tamas Berke

The readseq program should be able to do this. It runs under a variety of
platforms and is a available from:

A web site
<> also
does conversions if you only need to do a few, but I recommend using the
program locally if you need to do this often.

Best of luck,

Jerry Learn <Learn at>
U. of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195-7740  USA