Aligning a new sequence to an existing alignment??

Jerry Learn learn at
Thu Mar 19 12:58:23 EST 1998

In article <35114E52.41C6 at>, Steve Johnson <sljohnsn at> wrote:

> I have an alignment from PILEUP that I want to add additional sequences
> to. I have done some hand editing that I don't want to have to redo
> everytime I do a new PILEUP. Does anyone know of software that would
> allow me to do this? Thanks.

I use clustalw version 1.7 for this purpose (option 3 Profile/Structure
Alignments). It's available at in the directory
/pub/software/<paltform>/clustalw, where <platform> is dos, mac, unix or

Jerry Learn <Learn at>
Research Associate
Dept. of Microbiology
University of Washington