Chicago--Unix Systems and Network Adminnistrator

Colette Young cyoung at eb.com
Tue May 12 16:28:51 EST 1998

Job Description for Principal Systems Administrator (Unix)

Description--Play an integral role in facilitating both New Product
Development teams and our business-functional teams. Duties include, but
are not limited to:

? Design and administer UNIX systems supporting our commercial web
sites.

? Support and administer development and editorial communities within
Encyclopaedia
? Britannica.

? Improve and maintain our building-wide and worldwide communications
facilities.

? Respond to internal and external user requests and problems.

? Lead projects and manage personnel as unexpected contingencies arise.

Summary of Qualifications

? Education and training requirements include Bachelor of Science in a
science or engineering discipline. Must have at least 5 years experience
performing in role of Systems Administrator, as well as a minimum of two
years as a Team or Project Leader.  Skills and knowledge requirements
include:

? Five or more years experience in UNIX and LAN/WAN administration.

? RDBMS experience is preferred, but not required.

? Two or more years of Project Management experience is required.

? Experience in designing, implementing, and maintaining UNIX system
administration, Web Server administration, network architectural design,
and LAN/WAN administration.

? Experience in e-mail maintenance and expertise in the creation and
implementation of firewalls is highly desired.).

Technical Experience Required:

Operating System:  Sun OS/Unix, NT, Netware.  Network Comnmunication
Protocols:  IPX, TCP/IP, NET BEUI, NET BIOS.  CISCO Routers, bridges and
hubs.  LAN/WAN, Web Server Administration, Network Architecture.

 Soft Skills Required:

Project Management experience. Excellent oral, written, and
interpersonal communication skills.

Desired Skills:

RDBMS, Netscape Web Server, NT, Firewalls, C/C++ programming.

Contact:    Colette Young
                 cyoung at eb.com
                 Encyclopaedia Britannica
                 Phone:  (312) 347-7361