Homology and Alignment Software

John Mihic jmihic at wfubcm.edu
Wed May 27 09:52:07 EST 1998

In article <3569B49D.9F4A7848 at icarus.uic.edu>, gguerr1 at icarus.uic.edu says...

>Hello to all from Chicago.
>
>    The Reason for the posting is that I am looking for software that
>will search multiple
>DNA and protien sequences that I have obtained. I know that I was given
>a copy of a
>program  call MacShade or MacBox. I don't know the exact name, but it
>was a bad file
>that would not expand. So If I can get any info on these types of
>programs I would REALLY
>appreciate it.

Gerardo,

There is freeware called Macaw available from NCBI, which allows you to do
multiple nucleotide or amino acid sequence alignments. Point your browser to

http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/biology/molbio/ncbi/macaw/

It won't do searches within sequences, but then again any wordprocessor could
do that for you.

Hope this helps,

John